Wednesday, May 15, 2002

More about Q: Q is an old friend who was feeling powerless in the face of technology as B (her ex) wouldn't take down the posts referring to her. So I started commenting on his posts, talking about intergrity, friendship, trust. Then, unbeleivably, other people I don't know started commenting on his posts saying the same kind of thing; "Also, I wouldn't like my 'friend' to gamble my secrets with total strangers". Part of him got excited: "since when has my blog actually started gaining readers." And he capitulated; last night he posted this:

" Alright alright. I give up. You win. I'll watch what I say... (may you also be kicked when you're down by a group of people.) Several people have forced me to eat my words. Talking to a computer screen, you don't always think who's reading what. But spilling secrets is spilling secrets, no matter how veiled it seems. You may or may not have noticed, but I have pulled some posts. I don't have time right now to go through everything, but I have pulled the worst offenders already."

So peer power reigns. Or something. It's like out of Lord of the Flies. Or some group psychology text book. Only no-one dies.

No comments: